Monday, March 2, 2009

Judson's BIG eye

First of all, I am so sorry for such a long blogging strike. Sometimes life is too busy to waste time trying to blog about it. Right now I have 4 in bed sick with fevers so this really frees me up to have some Internet time.

Judson finally got his "big" eye, as we call it. It is actually called a painted scleral shell. This is still just the beginnings of several adjustments and changes to a better fit. We were not able to get an exact mold of his socket because he is just too little to hold still but in a few years he will get one that is a perfect fit. We have to go back next week for an adjustment because right now if he touches it it spins around and he looks goofy. When he wakes up I put him in bed between Eric and I and one eye is looking at me and the other at Eric. The kids love it. They try to make their eyes do the same. The conformers were so tight that his eye stayed irritated but they made this eye smaller so that maybe it will not be so irritated. But I think that they got it a bit to small because of how it is spinning. They will just build it up from behind and make it a better fit. Like I said, many adjustments to go. I think they did a great job on the color though. It is really neat, it has the small veins and the gold specks and everything just like his normal eye. She painted it wile Judson slept, she would just open his eye up a little just to get a color match. I have been removing it every night to get some practice removing it and to help keep down irritation. I thought it would be weird to remove it but it is really no big deal although Judson hates it.

We will go March 16 to get an adjustment and to his opthamologist to get glasses. They will only be safety glasses but he will need them since he will soon be toddling around and active with all his brothers and sisters.

This has been quite and adventure so far. I have met extremely neat people, people who have had horrible accidents that left them without 1 or both eyes, people who have lost their eye to cancer, others who have the same problem as Judson but it effects them in both eyes. others who have so many problems that a small eye is really the least of their worries. It all makes me so thankful for Judson's little eye.

 

Judson with his conformer in (very irritated)
 

No shell or conformer. This is what he would be like without modern medicine.
 

Two beautiful eyes, one dirty face

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I love his big eye. It alredy looks so good!

jennifer said...

I couldn't believe the difference that BIG eye made! Such sweet memories you will have to tell him all about when he is older. You are blessed. I hope you and the kids get well soon.

Sarah Lavender said...

I can't see the pics for some reason. I am sure he looks adorable. This is Jennifer Lavender, I got your link from Amanda Bradfield. Hope you are all doing well. Here is my blog link:
http://thelavenderfamilyblog.blogspot.com/ See ya! Jenn

Crystal said...

I'm so glad he got his BIG eye! I can't see the pics either but I'm sure they're great!

Abigail Grace said...

he is sosososo cute and i cant wait to see him in his glasses tommorow love yall ags