Saturday, September 5, 2009

Catching Up





Wow It has been a long time since my last post. Let me take time and just do a bit of catching up.

Judson has learned to walk, talk and be silly. He loves to dance around the room at night after bible time and make everyone laugh. He is such a funny boy. He loves to go outside, ride the lawnmower, and take a bath with John Mark (but not Jadon). He is not a little baby any more but a toddler. I am already feeling like my arms are empty but so far it's OK.

John Mark is a big boy. He loves Sesame Street and World World. Of course he has to watch those when we do school just to have something to do. Its a little difficult right now with him because he is not in school so he doesn't get much attention during the day. We try to have a date once a week so that I can spend a bit of time with just him. He loves that.

Jadon is in Kindergarden and is doing wonderful. He is very easy to teach and can do most of his work with just a little teaching. Thanks to daddy, he is a superhero fanatic. His favorite is Hulk. He is very fashion savvy. He loves to dress himself, John Mark, and Judson every morning. He lays their clothes out every night. It is so cute. He is going to start soccer this year. Fun Fun.

All the girls are doing good in school. Some are great students, others are average and must work very hard to maintain good grades. Our homeschooling has been transformed this year. We have changed to a computer based program called Switched On Schoolhouse for most subjects. Basically, the computer is the teacher and I am just the parent who encourages them in what the have to do and learn. We study for test and work on assignments together but the teaching and school requirements are initiated by the "computer school" and not me. I just do not have time to be creative enough to be wife, mother and teacher to so many grades. This has been such a blessing because I can still homeschool but so much pressure has been taken off me and put on the children. Before if they didn't get something it was because I didn't give it to them or teach it well enough. Now if they don't do well, it is because they didn't apply themselves well. They all will play soccer this season. We will have 5 playing in all, WHEW.

Eric has a different job at Honda now. Instead of working assembly which is very tiring on the body he is now working in quality. It is still hard work and more stressful but not the repetitive motions he used to do for 7 years. He come home the other day and was so excited because he didn't break a sweat that day. He works so hard for us.

I have been laying low these past few months. I found myself constantly having more to do than I had time for. I reevaluated and discovered how many things I was doing that God had not called me to. Good things, no doubt but, just not the things that God had called me to. SO, I made a list and narrowed my life down. Life is much less stressful and so much more fulfilling when I lay my head down at night with the peace that I have been working on the things God has called me to and not those things that are just life "fillers". Blogging, facebook, phone calls and such just didn't make my list. Eric, my children, my walk, hospitality, prayer, and church did. Jesus accomplished everything that the Father had given him to do, so maybe if I try to stick to the things that God has given me to do then maybe I will to.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Davis family! I have been a follower of your blog for a little while now but just today noticed that you guys live in Jacksonville! So do we! Maybe I knew this and forgot! Small world!

You have a beautiful family. Thanks for the update!

Jenifer

Jessica said...

YAY Alicia for updating =) I know you guys have been so busy, but I do enjoy reading about your precious family.
Sounds like your school year is off to a good start (and yay for technology)
We started soccer this year too...how fun =)

jengallahar said...

Hey! I've missed hearing from you. The kids are growing up so much! They are beautiful. It sounds like things are going well for the Davis Family!!!

AOP said...

Hello, my name is Kristi Gesink and I work for the Homeschooling company Alpha Omega Publications. I noticed after reading through your blog that you mention using our Switched on Schoolhouse curriculum to teach your children at home. We would like to say a big thank you for mentioning our company's products on your blog and we would appreciate it very much if you would please turn that mention into a link from your blog to our site at http://www.aophomeschooling.com
that way friends and readers can simply click on the link and find out more information about your great curriculum choice.

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to email me at tkgesink@mtcnet.net

Thanks again and may God bless your day!
Kristi Gesink
AOP

PS~you have a beautiful family!~

JJ said...

just wanted to say that y'all are such a gorgeous family:) see you at church! jj:)

Crystal said...

Girl, I am right in the middle of weeding out 'stuff' in my life that I need to lay aside! Sometimes I've even found that I need to lay aside the good to do that which is excellent! It's not always (or ever!) an easy task! Beautiful picrure of the family!