Monday, October 27, 2008

Toxic Synovitis

The last time I heard this term had to be about 12 years ago when I was studying for my nursing boards. It meant nothing back then but today it has become a household term.
John Mark has had a slight limp for a few days that I associated with everything from a wrinkle in his sock to a toe nail cut too short. Sunday night at home group it progressively got worse to the point that he could bear no weight on his right leg at all. This morning he woke up the same so, off to the Dr. we went. I just knew that my baby had broke his femur and I didn't even realize when it happened. It is so terrifying to watch your baby not be able to walk and to be in severe pain trying. At the Dr.'s office we discovered that he had a low grade fever. My medical back ground kicked in and I got nervous. My mama was with me to help with Judson so I had to keep my cool as to not overly upset her but inside I am slowly loosing it. Joint pain associated with fever...not good!! After x-rays and CBC's we left with our diagnosis...Toxic Synovitis which is a VIRAL infection of the synovial fluid in the hip joint. We left with these instructions...Motrin every 6 hrs. and he will be fine, all should clear up soon just as with any virus BUT if fever persists throughout the night see the DR. or if his temp spikes over 103 go to ER immediately. All these things would point to a bacterial infection of the joint instead of viral. Guess what happened tonight? Yep, a temp of 102.8. I call the Dr and start waiting for the calls back from the after hours run around. By this time mama gets the news from Melanie that John Mark is worse so she is here loving on him. I decide to take his temp again to see if it is coming down after the Motrin and the thermometer starts to read 102.3 and it keeps going up, 102.9, 103.2, 103.7...mama says "what does it say?" I hesitantly say and she freaks out. We both know that this means a BACTERIAL infection. I keep watching the temp slowly raise higher and higher and after it gets up to 104.7 I start questioning the thermometer and then when it goes over 106.8 I have to use my better judgement and realize that it must be broken. Well my mama is not listening to my reasoning too well and is already at Melanie's house demanding back up medical opinions and a different thermometer. A few moments later we are having a family reunion. We discover that my thermometer is broken but John Mark's temp is too high for comfort but not high enough for a direct admit to the hospital so we will keep watch through the night and see Dr. C in the morning. My gut feeling says that his infection is only viral and not bacterial and he will be better in the morning. Right now he is trying to play hide-and-go-seek with the others unsuccessfully, crawling and limping his way around without complaint.
We never know what all is out there but if you ever hear of Toxic or Transient Synovitis you will know what it is and not to be too alarmed. It should run it's course like a cold. It affects mostly boys ages 2-5. These things sure do mess up a homeschooling mama's day though.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

OMG I just tried to call you but its busy.....I'll pray you have a good night.

Aimee said...

WOW. That is really scary. I have some bleach if you wanna sprinkle you house with it!

Praying he gets better today!

The Agees said...

hey-praying for jm. of course you know, it's hard to monitor a fever while taking a fever reducer. if the fever goes up and down, this may be a sign that it is bacterial. spiking at night-viral.
love,
la

The Agees said...

oh and don't forget to pray for wisdom. first stop when your child is sick...God

Jessica said...

so sorry Alicia that John Mark is not feeling well!
praying that he gets better soon!

Unknown said...

praying for your little guy Alicia. Thanks for letting us know too.. you never know when we might need that info.