Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Microphthalmia

I have been rethinking Judson's treatment and studying things out for myself. His eye Dr. is a wonderful man but is mostly concerned with Judson's vision and the protection of the good eye (which is a good thing) but is not intense on the cosmetic side of things. You all know that at first I was told that I could get his prosthetic at 4 or 5 years. That bothered me so bad. I did not want my son being stared at for that long. So asked if we could get it sooner and The Dr. was just sorta vague and said we could discuss it at his 6 mo. check up. At the time, that was good enough for me but now it is not. I researched deeply and found several children who already had there prosthetic at 3 months old. So I started E-mailing and Judson now has an appointment with the Ocularist Aug.6th. YEAH!!! The Opthamologist deals with the vision while the Ocularist deals with the cosmetic side and all my microphthalmia yahoo friends say that the Ocularist will be my best friend because he will make Judson look normal. I am so thankful for the Internet and all the information I have found out. At the appointment we will find out if he will need conformers, which are plastic shells that are changed out progressively to stetch the tissue to prepare it for the prosthetic. If he doesn't need conformers then he will immediately get his prosthetic and be good to go until he out grows it and need another. I can't wait to see my baby with 2 big eyes. Sorry for the spelling errors and such I am in a hurry and just wanted to get this posted.

2 comments:

Aimee said...

This sounds great. I think you will get many more of your questions answered from a doctor who specializes in this. Judson will be adorable, with or without an eye. DOn't worry when people stare, they are just looking at how cute he is.

The massage is going to be great. I have gotten a couple there before. Carlton always spoils me with that for Valentines. You don't have to get completely naked. I don't. They are real professional and you won't be nervous. DONT plan on going anywhere after, you will look like a grease head. And you will feel like you are going to crash and sleep for a few hours. Oh, please ask for Tomoko to do your toes. I just love her and you will too. She visited Grace once. She is precious. As for the manicure, do something fun and crazy! Mine always chip in a few days, so enjoy it while you have it! I am so thankful for the sweet soul that gave you this treat!~!!!!! May God bless her!

John said...

I agree with Aimee....don't worry about folks staring at your baby....and don't feel like you have to explain his condition to every passer-by in Walmart. Some will stop and ask, and it is a great opportunity to share. Most just think "hey, he has a small eye, wonder why....." and don't give it another thought.

I know you and Eric will make a wise decision for him once you have all the facts from a doctor who does this everyday for a living. What a resource he/she will be!